Emerald State High School has many services and support staff to assist parents and students.
The Guidance Officer provides professional expertise and support, collaboratively assisting students with identified needs in personal, educational, welfare, social and emotional development.
The Guidance Officer is available to assist students with some of the following:
- Supports students through advocacy, counselling when appropriate, and provides assistance when students are working on goals they are aiming for, or identified problems they want to overcome.
- Individual career planning and SET planning skills, senior subject selection and subject changes, ATAR, QTAC, VET timetable options and scholarships.
- Psycho-educational / specialised assessment and observations of students - provide recommendations for consideration to support their educational needs and reports as determined by school priorities.
- Mental fitness issues, referrals and liaise with external agencies, medical/allied health professionals and safety plans.
Students can access the Guidance Officer in Support Works during their lunch breaks, or via appointments made at the office on (07) 4988 2222.
A School Chaplain is a safe person for young people to
connect with at school and provides a listening ear, caring presence, and a
message of hope. Chaplains run positive, fun activities for students and
assist in fostering supportive, caring school communities.
The school currently has two Chaplains servicing our school who are available Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. Students can access the Chaplain by visiting them at Support Works without an appointment.
School Based Apprentice/Workplace Coordinator
The SATS Coordinator role is to administer, manage and monitor students who participate in External/Interal programs that provide students with a Nationally Recognised Qualification
The SATS/Workplace Coodinator also:
- Develops and maintains relationships with employers, training providers and apprenticeship support agencies.
- Forms connections and develops partnerships between school and employers that will assist students to transition to employment and make effective career choices.
- Works directly with schools, government, industry, business and community groups to form partnerships and develop networks to position School Based Apprenticeships as a career pathway choice for students in the region.
- Works with students to source Australian School Based Apprenticeships (ASBA) opportunities.
- Develops and manages the work experience placement program, including monitoring students in the workplace, arraging visits where required and managing the preparation, collection and storage of records and data as required by policy.
Our SATS/Workplace Coordinator is available Monday to Thursday in the library.
Alarna Wills - email@example.com
Youth Support Coordinator
The Youth Support Coordinator, works closely with senior secondary students to support their transition into and through their senior phase of learning. The Coordinator works with students in Years 10 to 12 who are at risk of disengaging, or have already disengaged from education, to remain engaged with their education to enhance their future opportunities.
Some of the support services provided by the Youth Support Coordinator are:
- referring at risk students to appropriate agencies and support services that will assist students to overcome barriers to education and training
- provide individual support, case management and, where appropriate, group support to students
Our Youth Support Coordinator is available Monday to Thursday in Support Works.
Indigenous Community Education Counsellor
School Based Health Nurse
The School Based youth Health Nurse meets with young people in private to talk about health concerns, relationships, sexual health, personal or family issues, smoking, alcohol and drug use. She can also:
- Address concerns or problems about health and wellbeing.
- Help create a more supportive, healthy school environment.
- Connect people to other support services outside the school.
The Nurse is available Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. Students can access the School Nurse by visiting them at Support Works without an appointment.